The Truth of God
(Outline Bible Study)
1. Jesus came to “bear witness to the truth” (John 18:36-38). Palate asked, “What is truth?” We must be seekers of truth. It must be our highest priority!
2. Jesus was personified Truth.
John 1:14–“full of grace and truth”
John 1:17–“grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ”
John 14:6–“I am the way, and the truth, and the life”
3. The Holy Spirit was sent–the “Spirit of truth” (John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13).
4. The Holy Spirit would reveal “all the truth” to the apostles (John 14:13).
1. The Truth of God is related to the Word of God:
John 8:31 with v. 32–“You shall know the truth”
John 17:17,19–“Thy word is truth”
2 Cor. 4:2 (6:7)
Eph. 1:13–“the message of truth” (or Word of truth)
Psalm 119:160a–“The SUM of Thy word is truth”
This is why it is so essential for us to read, study, learn, and apply the Word of God Himself!
2. Why is the truth of God so vital?
John 8:32–“You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
John 17:17–“Sanctify them in the truth.”
1 Peter 1:22–“purified your souls”
James 1:18–“He brought us forth by the word of truth.”
2 Thess. 2:10–love of the truth=saved.
Notice a reaction to the truth:
John 8:31-32–Christs word is truth
John 8:37–the Word has no place in one.
8:40–they seek to kill Jesus who told the truth.
8:45-47–They are not of God.
2 Timothy 3:8–ones “oppose the truth”
4. Notice some ENEMIES of the Truth.
(1) NO LOVE of the truth (2 Thess. 2:10)–did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
(2) SIN–“did not believe the truth” but took “pleasure in wickedness”
(2 Thess. 2:12). People react against the truth if it affects our pleasures and sins.
(3) FALSEHOOD MORE DESIRABLE.
2 Tim. 4:2–preach the word
v. 3–“sound teaching”
v. 4–“truth . . . myths”
(4) TRADITION–“commandments of men who turn away from the truth”
(Titus 1:14). Traditions may be more attractive and enticing than Gods truth!
(5) UNWILLINGNESS TO FACE CONFLICT AND DIVISION IN FAMILIES AND WITH RELATIVES.
Matt. 10:32-39: “Truth divides” if one does not love the truth (but unites those who sincerely love truth). people generally want peace at any cost, even if truth must be case aside.
(6) PREJUDICE–an unwillingness to examine the truth.
Luke 4:16-29–Jesus at Nazareth
v. 28–they were filled with rage.
Acts 22:21-22–the Jews turned against Paul immediately.
(7) COMPLACENCY OR INDIFFERENCE
Many have a careless attitude about truth and are just not interested in it. Other things are a priority.
(8) DESIRE TO MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUO
Acts 4:13-18–the Jewish leaders.
(9) PRIDE AND UNWILLINGNESS TO ADMIT ERROR
Acts 6:9-12–Stephens enemies could not answer him and simply chose to eliminate him.
(10) LACK OF TIME OR UNWILLINGNESS TO MAKE TIME.
Job. 23:12–more than my necessary food.
(11) UNWILLINGNESS TO SACRIFICE AND SUFFER AND BE REJECTED FOR THE TRUTH.
John 12:42-43–many of the rulers believed but would not confess.
5. HOW DO WE RESPOND TO THE TRUTH?
We must have an all-consuming passion and quest of truth!
Prov. 2:1-6 (cf. 1:20-33)–seek the truth with all of our heart
Acts 17:11–study for the truth daily
2 Thess. 2:10–love of the truth
v. 12–believe the truth
v. 13–faith in the truth
1 Peter 2:22–“in obedience to the truth purify your souls”
1 Timothy 2:4–“knowledge of the truth”
1 Tim. 4:3–“those who believe and know the truth”
2 John 1–“all who know the truth”
2 John 2–“the truth which abides in us”
2 John 4–“walking in truth”
3 John 3,4–walk in the truth
3 John 8–support men who preach to be “fellow workers with the truth”
2 Timothy 2:15–“handling accurately the word of truth”
Eph. 4:15–“speaking the truth in love”
6. DO SOME REACT AGAINST THE TRUTH?
Rom. 2:8–“do not obey the truth”
Heb. 10:26–sin willfully after “receiving the knowledge of the truth”
James 5:19–“. . . if any among you strays from the truth, and one turns him back”
Questions for your consideration:
1. We have been dealing with initial saving truth in the above passages. How can it be said that we are saved by truth?
2. What other areas of truth has God revealed to you during the past year?
3. What areas of truth are you presently studying?
4. Why kind of pressure is Satan giving you to forget about the truth?
5. How can we, personally, be an enemy of the truth?
6. How can we determine whether a certain belief or practice is TRUE?
7. How can we be sure that we are not deceived in our search for truth?
8. Why is truth so vital to you and me?
9. Why are people so indifferent to the truth of God?
10. Why do some people fight against the truth of Scripture?