And Now What Will They Do?
Now that the Supreme Court of the United States has unjustly and wickedly made sodomite unions (misnamed marriages) legal in America, some very serious thinking needs to be done.
It would be difficult to change the present unjust law that was passed by five liberal judges. But immediately we see a crisis looming for thousands of good-hearted and usually sincere professing Christians. You might say that this crisis is the inevitable conflict that will ensue in the public sphere between the forces of immorality and the force of morality. It might be the doof darkness pitted against the realm of light.
However, this is only one aspect of the problem that is developing. After all, there has always been a battle between darkness and light, between sin and righteousness (cf. 2 Corinthians 6:14-16). I refer to something more sinister, and this is it: There will be increased pressure on moral people to acquiesce to immorality in the country and the world. Yes, there has always been pressure to conform to sinful societybut now the civil law is involved. Now the Supreme Court seems to favor sexual immorality, that of sodomy in all of its various forms. (We refer to what has come to be designated as LGBT, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual.)
Not only is it now lawful for two sodomites or two homosexuals to enter into a legal relationship, which they call a marriage, but there is a massive pressure on professing Christians and other moral people to deaden their conscience by aiding and abetting immoral people entering immoral relationships.
For some months now and increasingly over the past couple of weeks, we see news articles about the pressure on certain groups of people to help promote sexual immorality. What will you do and what will I do? Consider these scenarios:
· You work as a clerk in a county court house and your job has been to issue marriage licenses to heterosexual couples. Now, with the legalization of sodomite unions, there will be thousands of instances in America in which two men or two women seek to obtain a marriage license from you. What will you do? You know that this would be sinful. Will you deaden your conscience and issue such a license?
· You work in a bakery and two sodomites come to your business and want a cake for their wedding. Will you sell them such a cake or make such a cake? Will you decorate the cake with sodomite words or slogans?
· You work in Wal-Mart or another such place and you normally sell cakes and other pastries Two homosexual women come to your counter and want you to customize your cake to read, Congratulations to Laura and Lisa on their marriage! What will you do?
· You are a photographer and two homosexual men come to your place of business, requesting that you come to their wedding and take photographs of their sodomite marriage. Will you agree to this and arrange for this?
· You work for a newspaper and two sodomites want you to write about their upcoming marriage or want you to carry an invitation that others may attend their union. What will you do?
· You work as a judge or justice-of-the-peace and two sodomites want you to pronounce them married. What will you do?
Obviously, we are only touching on the many different situations that might easily arise in our contemporary culture. Consider a few more:
· An elementary school teacher, or a high school history teacher, or social studies teacher must present a lesson on the contributions of homosexuals in the history of America. Will you use this opportunity to point out the guilt of sexual immorality and the devastating effects this has had on our country, particularly during the past ten or twenty years? Or will you simply surrender to the school district authorities and agree to teach the lesson?
· You work in the public library and your job is to order new books that come off the press. You must decide whether you will order one or more books that promote homosexuality and arrange for their circulation, or whether you will refuse and face the consequences.
· You own a motel and two sodomites come to the front desk. They claim that they are newlyweds and want you to rent a room from you for the night. You are aware that the law now states that you must not discriminate against those who are sexually immoral. Will you rent the room or cause them to turn away, knowing that they will report your denial to the proper authorities?
· You own a house and you dont want to rent the house to two men who will commit gross immorality (though legal today). It is your house and you want to keep it as a moral place. Will you rent the house to them or refuse? If you refuse, you know that a lawsuit could or would be brought against you and the local newspaper would write about your illegal refusal. What will you do?
We can see that this new unjust sodomite law has far-reaching ramifications today, something that was unknown before. When sodomy was forbidden and unlawful in all of the states, this would not have been a real problem. But now that America has become increasingly immoral and wicked, these kinds of problems have arisen. Quite frankly, however, aspects of this problem have been around before. Consider a year ago, compared to today.
· A year or two or ten ago, what would a cake-maker do if a heterosexual couple came and wanted a wedding cake? The problem is that one of the persons divorced his wife and is entering a second adulterous marriage (see Matthew 19:9 and Mark 10:11-12). What would honest, moral, and respectable persons do? Surely they should refuse to be involved in this immoral union (marriage), but we suppose that even many professing Christians would have gone along with this situation and promoted the wedding by making a cake.
· What we say above is true across the board. A year ago or now, what should a county clerk do if a couple arrived with the request for a marriage license? However, the woman divorced her husband for irreconcilable differences and the marriage will be adulterous. What will you do?
· If a remarried, adulterous couple want to rent a motel room from you, what will you do?
· If a remarried, adulterous couple want you to make a marriage announcement in your newspaper, what will you do?
· If you are a teacher and must present adulterous marriages in a positive light, will you do this? Or will you feel obligated (under God) to show the fact that most remarriages are adulterous, and those who commit unrepentant adultery will be judged by God (Hebrews 13:4) and cannot enter heaven (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)?
· If one of your coworkers on the job plans to remarry and the other employees plan on a wedding shower, will you go? Will you give a gift? Will you feel obligated to go to the weddingwhen you know that they are offending God by violating their legitimate marriage by entering a forbidden marriage, thereby committing adultery (Mark 10:11-12)?
We began these words with the question, And Now What Will They do? This is a question not only for cake-bakers, photographers, motel managers, churches, and preachers, but it is one for you and me. It will be increasingly hard to avoid this issue and will become easy to just deaden our conscience and go along with the law of the land and societal pressure. What will you do? What will you say?
We have come to the point when we need to say what Peter and John said when they faced the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem who wanted these apostles to agree to disobey the Lord. They declared, Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge; for we cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard (Acts 4:19-20). Later, Peter was willing to publicly say, We must obey God rather than men (5:29).
Will we obey God rather than men? Will we obey the Lord rather than submit to wicked laws, passed by five liberal and evil Supreme Court Justices? What will you do? What will I do?
Lets not deny the Lord by refusing to obey Him when difficulties arise! Rather, lets be willing to confess Him and His Word publically when called on to deny His Word about sodomy and other forms of sexual immorality. Will you be willing to confess Jesus before othersor will you deny Him? (cf. Matthew 10:32-33).